Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Crystal Lake its a Classic



My family and I loaded up our boat and headed up to our cabin friday afternoon. Luckily it happens to be only 30 minutes away from Camp Tesomas. I drove over Saturday around noon to preride. I noted the dark clouds but, headed out anyway. Not 2 minutes in and it started raining hard. With a small block tire on the rear it made for a interesting ride. I'm glad I prerode though. There were some significant course changes. The outhouse detour was interesting? So I cleaned up my bike and heade back to the cabin. I got a good nights sleep listening to the rain. Sunday morning was relaxing with a walk in the woods and cleaning up the cabin. Went fishing with my daughters and helped my oldest catch a bluegill. Heading to the race I was kinda confident I had a good nervous energy. I forgot my bottles so my Teammate Shoemaker was nice enough to bring me two. Also thanks to Justin Piontek's Dad Butch for getting me some gatorade in the Bottles. So Don said go and we went. I had bad placing on the start (no callup). But, I usually have a good start so I ended up about 10th after the first corner. I worked my way up to 6th by the end of the gravel. I wish I had worked a little harder tho so I could have been first into the singletrack. The leadout wasn't that hard. After hitting the singletrack I was on the rivet the entire first lap. Chasing the leaders, I passed one guy and he passed me back. I knew I was going ok because I was passing quite a few people. It didn't start raining on me til the end of the 3rd lap. By that time I was happy for it. So I ended up right where I started 6th place. I got 11th overall in comp. Which is my best result so far. Though there are smaller fields up nort. I think I could have ridden slightly harder on the second lap. All in all it was a good race and a great weekend. Really looking forward to Wausau. See ya there...

1 comment:

  1. Nice story. Thanks for sharing. I ended up with the same feeling, could have ridden harder on the second lap. This was my first race in Sport class, so I was pretty happy with a fourth in 60 plus.

    ReplyDelete