Friday, January 15, 2010

The Off Season Part 3



Just finished my last max strength workout. Thank god. That was hard. Finished up with 460# on the leg press, 130# on the seated row and, 110# on the standing row. I might have been able to do 480# on the leg press but, I figured why push my luck. I finished with 7 reps at 460 which means my max must be around 540#. None of which means anything if it doesn't make me faster on the bike. It definitely took all my muscles to get that weight up so hopefully I recruited a few more muscle fibers. My next plan is to do muscular endurance lifting with 40-60 reps at a much lower weight. I plan on combining this with more biking and less skiing and elliptical. By the end of February I should be just biking. I am pretty happy with how my off season is going so far. I don't have the time to train like this guy or that guy. Not without getting a divorce and paying for a lot of therapy for my kids. But, they have different goals then I do. I am pretty happy being in comp. If I could move up to expert it would be cool but, I'm just not that fast. Right now I plan on doing 9 to 10 hours a week with a max of 13 or 14. That's all I can fit in. By the time summer rolls around I might be doing the time crunched cyclist plan. It all depends on how busy we get. Whatever you end up doing with your season, I hope you have fun. I am going skiing Saturday morning early at the camp and maybe I'll hit the trainer later in the day. Not sure about Sunday though kinda want to ride to wrightstown. But, not if the roads are wet. We'll see how things look. Next week is a rest week so hopefully I don't screw up my diet. The weight loss is going good. I do want to stuff my face at my work party next Friday though. Oh yeah I put my self portrait up because I'm told thats what all the cool cats do. See ya outside.

4 comments:

  1. ha! It's all about doing what you can. I'm at the point in the game that I'm going to be competing at the highest level I can in the long stuff and out here it's a whole different game. Looks like you're doing a damn good job getting into shape. (I have time to read this and write now because my wife is sleeping - she fell asleep on the couch reading.... :) ) Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm....I'm NO WAY in the same category as B-Dub....he's just plain insane! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could even put in the time you two do. I think it is awesome you guys are that dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The obsession required for success at the top of any field can be embarrassing in hindsight. That said, spending a period of one's life trying to be truly excellent at something... there is value in that experience.

    The fringe is an interesting place to visit - what I need to remember is that it isn't a sensible permanent location!"

    Gordo Byrn - endurancecorner.com/blog

    ReplyDelete